So I have been wanting to do this DIY for a long time. It took a LOT longer than I thought it would but it was worth it and kind of fun. Here goes…
12×24 Gesso Board
Mod Podge (Glossy)
Two colors of paint (I chose gray and pink)
Paint Brushes (1 small for lettering and a large one to paint the board)
Stencil letters of your choice
Sticker letters of your choice
Hammer and Nails
Hot Glue Gun
I brought all these items from Hobby Lobby except the metal clips, I got those from dollar tree.
- Paint the gesso board. I painted two coats. I let the first coat dry before painting the next. I waited about 20 minutes between each coat.
- I measured out three straight lines with a ruler and applied masking tape. I then started tracing the stickers. I cut out my stencil and taped that on as well. I haven’t really worked with stencils before. I should have used one that wasn’t such as script and more blocky. This part was the most time consuming. I think I spent an hour on it.
3. Paint in your outlined letters and the stencil. I used two coats. It was not as neat as I would have liked. Let paint dry about 15 minutes.
4. Hot glue your clamps on and hammer in your nails at the bottom. I used fairly small nails about 1/2 inch. The nails wont go all the way in the board so you really just want to get them hammered in good enough to hold the medals up. I measure 2 inches between each nail.
5. I added rhinestone to mine because I happened to have some but that is optional. I used the same method to add them as I do in this post.
6. Apply mod podge. I applied one coat and let it dry for about 1 hour.
Finished product! So the left side is my inspiration and the right is my board. Not quite the same but I like it!